Grain bowls are a current craze - and I am definitely a fan. Almost every raw / organic kitchen you visit has grain bowls on the menu. Whether they are vegan, gluten-free or paleo-friendly, these bowls have endless possibilities. They are super easy to make at home and you can have fun while getting creative. Experimenting with your taste buds is always a good time. This grain bowl captures, in my opinion, the essence of summer. Summer foods are bright, light and crisp.
Here is a grain bowl I have created that tastes delicious and will give your body a boost of micro and macronutrients.
Anything that incorporates cranberries & goat cheese has me sold. The avocado gives it a creamy edge and the toasted cashews ad a crunch. The sweet citrus vinaigrette is also heavenly!
I hope you all enjoy creating (and eating) this bowl as much as I do!
I N G R E D I E N T S:
Fiji apple (a summertime favourite)
Yellow bell pepper
½ an avocado
Dried cranberries (unsweetened)
Chicken (or tofu)
Apple cider vinegar
Quinoa (any kind, I prefer golden)
D I R E C T I O N S:
1. In a medium pot, add quinoa and water. Follow the 2:1 liquid to quinoa ratio. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a medium/low and allow the quinoa to sit until the water is absorbed. It should take about 15-20 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spread out the cashews on a lined cookie sheet and let toast for 10-15 minutes. Stir the nuts halfway to ensure they toast evenly. Remove & let cool.
3. Prepare chicken based on your preference. I like to add paprika to my chicken.
4. Cut up bell peppers, apple, avocado and red onion and set aside.
5. Prepare the dressing: In a mixing bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, and raw honey. Pink salt & pepper based on preference.
6. Assemble the bowl: Add a layer of quinoa on the bottom to create the base. Add arugula on top of the quinoa to create the second layer. Add your sliced apple, peppers, avocado and onion. Then add the dried cranberries, blueberries, cashew and chicken. Drizzle the vinaigrette on top & sprinkle desired amount of goat cheese.
7. Serve & enjoy!
The Sunshine Bowl