Pears have always been one of my favourite fruits. Whether they are by themselves or added to a salad. They are sweet, crunchy and full of fiber.
This grain bowl embraces this fruit. The mixture of sweet and savory - the spiced almonds, sweet pear & maple vinaigrette work so well together. The bowl comes out beautifully, with bright colours and different textures. (Makes for a lovely Instagram picture!).
I N G R E D I E N T S:
Pear (your choice, I prefer Bartlett)
Dried cranberries (unsweetened)
Pure maple syrup
Olive or avocado oil
Pepper & pink salt
D I R E C T I O N S:
1. In a medium pot, add quinoa and water. Follow the 2:1 liquid to quinoa ratio. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a medium/low and allow the quinoa to sit until the water is absorbed. It should take about 15-20 minutes.
2. Coat almonds in olive oil, honey, pink salt & cayenne pepper.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spread out the pecans on a lined cookie sheet and let toast for 10-15 minutes. Stir the nuts halfway to ensure they toast evenly. Remove & let cool.
4. Prepare chicken based on your preference.
5. Cut up the pears and red onion, and set aside.
6. Prepare the dressing: In a mixing bowl, combine olive/avocado oil, balsamic vinegar, pure maple syrup, and Dijon mustard. Pink salt & pepper based on preference.
7. Assemble the bowl: Add a layer of quinoa on the bottom to create the base. Add mixed greens on top of the quinoa to create the second layer. Add your sliced pear and red onions. Then add the chicken and dried cranberries. Next, add the sliced almonds and spiced pecans. Drizzle the vinaigrette on top & sprinkle desired amount of feta cheese.
8. Serve & enjoy!
The Pear-fect Bowl