My Sweet Quinoa Dish
I have a very large, close-knit family. When we get together, there are always mass amounts of food & drinks for everyone to enjoy. Typically everyone offers to help by bringing their own dish of some sort - whether it’s a small appetizer or desert. We all help each other out so no one (especially the host) feels too overwhelmed!
Over the Christmas holidays, my family got together to share a delicious meal and celebrate. I wanted to do something a little different than the standard Christmas staples (turkey, stuffing, potatoes, etc.) so I began to do a little brainstorming.
Some of my favourite ingredients around this time of year are honey crisp apples, maple syrup and cranberries. But, I knew I couldn’t just show up with a basket of apples and bags of cranberries. I had to get a bit creative.
I love quinoa. It is a staple in my diet because the fiber and protein content makes me energized and feel great. It is so versatile and can be a great addition to almost anything. Sweet or savoury, I love me some quinoa.
After brainstorming some ingredients, I came up with a sweet quinoa dish. The consistency of the plate is so satisfying because it is a mix of soft quinoa with the crunchy apples & nuts. The maple vinaigrette is the perfect blend of sweet and savoury.
I N G R E D I E N T S:
Whole package of golden organic quinoa
1 cup of pumpkin seeds
1 cup of sunflower seeds
1 cup of sliced almonds
1 cup of walnuts
1 cup of dried, unsweetened cranberries
3 large honey crisp apples
Pure maple syrup
D I R E C T I O N S:
1. Cook the package of golden quinoa according to the instructions.
2. While the quinoa cooks, chop up the apples.
3. For the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pure maple syrup, and mustard.
4. Let the quinoa cool in the refrigerator for about 45 minutes to one hour.
5. In a large bowl fold in the nuts, seeds, cranberries & apples.
6. Stir in your desired amount of dressing.
7. Let the bowl sit in the fridge for about 10 minutes so the flavours mix together.
T I P S: